I have had some random questions bouncing around in my head lately, for which I would greatly appreciate some answers. Anyone is welcome to post and weigh in.
1) What is the best way to get an agent’s attention? In the opening pitch of a query letter, what is the best way to make them want to keep reading?
2) What is the best way to network and get the opinion of other writers? I want others to read and critique my work, but I also don’t want it out for the masses.
3) What is the best way to juggle career and family? I currently teach, write and am a new mother and a wife. I am balancing a dual career while trying to get representation for my writing and it has been hard on me and my family. How do some of you balance it all?
4) How long did it take for people to not look at you like you are crazy when you tell them you are writing a novel? I get it. I know I am not normal and I could quite possibly fail. But do they ever stop looking at you like you have five heads?
5) How do you be confident about your writing without coming across as “that writer”? This is a business where you are not just selling what you write, but you are selling yourself. Everything I write is extremely personal, but I understand this is a business as well. How do you balance those two things that seem to be on the opposite ends of the spectrum?
6) How do you know an idea is a good idea?
Thanks everyone! I appreciate your input and look forward to reading your thoughts.